Implantable Collamer Lens surgery (ICL)( also known as ‘PHAKIC IOLS’ ) is a procedure in which a contact lens is implanted into the eye to correct the refractive error and provide enhanced vision.
In this procedure an intraocular lens, (made of biocompatible material that has been tested and proven fit for implantation for over 50 years), is fixed in front of the natural clear lens — behind the cornea and on top of the iris. The word ‘phakic’ means that the natural crystalline lens is left in the eye.
Although LASIK surgery is the most well-known method to correct vision, ICl is one of the other option for people who may not be suitable candidates for LASIK due to high refractive error,thin cornea or dry eyes.
This phakic intraocular lens has numerous advantages including its correction of the widest range of myopia (near sightedness), hyperopia (far sightedness) and astigmatism (cylindrical power).
ICL gives high definition vision and does not require creating a corneal flap and corneal tissue removal as in LASIK, SMILE & other laser specs removal procedures. It also does not cause any corneal dryness as seen in standard specs removal processes. The ICL surgery provides a safe and effective surgical correction of powers as high as -20D and cylindrical correction of 6D.
The lens is customized according to each eye’s shape and size.
This new technique is similar to cataract surgery, but the natural lens remains in place so the eye’s natural focusing ability is preserved.
Suitable Candidate for ICL Surgery
- At least 18 years old
- Your specs number should be stable for about a year – minor changes do not disqualify you from becoming a candidate
- Ladies shouldn’t be pregnant or on breastfeeding
- You should not have any eye disease
- Controlled diabetes is not a contraindication.
The ICL procedure
- The implant surgery is quick and painless, lasting only about 15 – 30 minutes.
- The area around your eyes will be cleaned and a sterile drape may be applied around your eye.
- Eye drops or a local anesthetic will be used to numb your eyes.
- When your eye is completely numb, an eyelid speculum will be placed between your eyelids to keep you from blinking during the procedure.
- The recovery time is short and most patients resume normal activities within a week.
- Follow all of your doctor’s instructions after the implantation of the ICL.
Phakic IOL does not change the natural appearance of the face and does not require any special care or maintenance. Although it is intended to be permanent, the procedure is reversible if desired. The implanted lens can be removed any time, as the surgery does not affect the important natural structures of the eye.